Tuesday, January 8, 2008

And off to work we go ...

This morning was a rare occurrence ... the wee babes stayed in bed till 6.55am - usually they rise and shine and shout and run and jump from around 5.20am .... hooley dooley batman .... we did not get out of bed till 7.00am .... I leave for work at around 8.10am ... so first I complete the usual wifey chores - put away last nights washing up, fold five loads of laundry and put away, make the odd bed, plus did some mummy stuff - a star on the star chart for the five year old for bed making, found the three yr olds blue teddy etc etc etc ... and then see the clock says 7.40am - must drop mummy wife me and become work me ... into the shower I head - with a word to MIC - off to shower now - which really meant you're it in the parenting stakes daddy ....

Somehow MIC missed the key point of the message and went outside to hand water the new plants (we are in a drought - using our own water supply - not town water thanks very much). This means I am in the shower when the three yr old - lets call him darling boy - DB - decides to go off like a nutter ....

I continue the showering thing expecting MIC to intervene ... no such luck - I end the shower while communicating at great decibels with DB - Mummy is in the shower - come into the bath room ....

The pitch and noise levels rise - I wonder how MIC cannot hear and attend such an obvious drama as blue teddy falling out of DB's bag .... I attend - dripping wet - nude and fast running out of time to become work me ....

We sort blue teddy back into the bag but now something is wrong with dora the explorer dolly .... - I open the blind - give the neighbours a full waist up nudey morning delight and call MIC inside to take on the drama of dora ...

Over the next ten minutes the drama deteriorates, DB ends up sobbing and for all intents his world is ending, MIC and I exchange some none too pleasant observations with each other on how best to parent a three year old with some unresolved separation anxieties.

DB declares that he hates dad and wants mum ... MIC and I exchange a couple of heated words and now I am on my way to work ... dearie me ....

Before leaving peace is restored, DB has blood sugar levels back under control as MIC spoons in yogurt and rice flake cereal, the first born (FB) five year old comes in from an outdoor adventure oblivious to the dramas that have been in play.

I farewell all with kisses on cheeks - leaving lipstick smudges which the FB thinks is ever so funny - MIC and I give each other the sorry eyes for previous displaced anger from the DB breakdown ... and DB gives MIC a series of wee hugs to show that he really does not hate daddy afterall .... all this in a 20 minute timeframe and now I have to go and be a high function exec who is managing a server upgrade in the office today - joy to the world ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, it all sounds very close to home. My husband let our daughter start painting (butterfly painting - the messiest kind) the other morning before proceeding to start getting himself ready for work. "Can you supervise?" he asked me as the toddler climbed up onto a chair to grab the paints. The new, assertive (post 25 ulcers)me said "Actually...no I can't. I have a headache and I have to eat something and then do some chores before you leave for work. If you let them do painting before you go to work then you have to supervise them." I call this new voice of mine assertive, but my 5 year old just calls it "grumpy".